Friday, April 17, 2009

contain yourself

While living in Southern California, I got addicted to succulent plants. The sea air was very kind to them and they were happy in containers on the small patio. When we made the move to Arizona, I wanted to bring the plants along. I even sacrificed leg room just to fit them all in the car. I thought they should be fine in the desert sun, right? They're water-retaining, so they require very little water to flourish. Well, while most succulents are drought resistant, you can't forget to check on them more often in desert conditions. You see, they all died. We were in the mist of a six month home renovation and my time was stretched. Checking on plants was the last thing on my mind. So, today I set out to try again with the succulents. I love container gardening, and have stuck with a few of my favorite: vintage enamelware and home-made troughs. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment